Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  April 16, 2012 8:00pm-9:00pm EDT

8:00 pm
not to mention there's a possibility of communist official's wife poisoned a businessman with cyanide. it does make a good novel. "anderson cooper 360" starts now. >> thanks. good evening, everyone. we begin tonight with breaking news. a new development in the trayvon martin case. the attorney for george zimmerman who's charged with second degree murder has filed paperwork to have a new trial judge. asking for the judge to recuse herself because of a possible conflict of interest. this is where it gets complicated. o'mara became zimmerman's attorney after being recommended by mark nejame who cnn hired as a legal analyst. he's an orlando lawyer. he's also the law partner of the judge. the judge's husband. they referred him no mark o'mara who filed the recusal file
8:01 pm
today. he joins me now. you filed the motion to recuse the judge. are you confident it is going to be granted? >> yes, i do. the way their rule is set up is once the presentation is made by verified motion, the court should grant it. she could have an inquiry if she wanted to. i don't think she will. i think she will grant it and move it on to another judge zbrp. >> are you surprised she didn't recuse herself? she brought this up the other day. whether or not there was conflict of interest, someone could argue there is a conflict of interest. >> exactly. and there is an opportunity for the judge to do that. however, also in the rules provided it's the attorneys that present the motion to the judge. if it's reasonably well founded it could be granted. it could be by the judge initially but us doing it through motion is just as well. >> today cnn along with other news organizations petitioned the court for sealing court records. an order you requested last
8:02 pm
week. why do you feel the records should be seal snd. >> well, my initial concern is that i knew there was going to be information flowing into the court file that included witnesses' names, telephone numbers, addresses, information about trayvon martin in there as well. my concern is with the publicity this case has gotten so far and with the interest with all sorts of people that there may be concern for some safety to some of those people should addresses be given out. >> if personal information about witnesses or individuals atta attached to the case were redacted from the records and the records were released in that form, would that be acceptable to you? or is this part of wanting to -- when i spoke to you days ago, you said you wanted to dial down the pressure or the focus on this. is that part of this? >> yes, it is. i mean, it's an overall philosophy of trying to keep the information flow concentrated within the system. it's much better handled there. again information like this even a police report with names on it gets out, then my concern is
8:03 pm
they're going to be spoken to. they're going to be questioned. there's going to be four, five different statements from this one witness, let's say. then we have to sift through all of that to try to get to the truth. >> how often are you in communication now with george zimmerman and how is he doing? >> daily basis. at least a couple times a day. and again he's doing well physically. he wants out. he is certainly frightened as to what's going on. he's very concerned with the process. but i think he understands it. >> you said he's frightened about what's going on? >> well, he's -- >> i'm sorry. is that the word you used? >> yes. frightened. >> okay. in terms of the actual meetings, are they face to face or over the telephone? >> face to face and over the telephone. i saw him this afternoon. spoke to him again on the phone. i get to see him every couple days. hopefully he'll be out soon. >> you have a bond hearing coming up this friday.
8:04 pm
what do you think the likelihood is he could get out? >> well, a bond scheduler says it's a no bond status until the judge reviews it. she does an author inquiry basically where the case where you're going to keep somebody in pretrial which i would consider pretrial punishment because they've not been convicted of anything yet. then the court has to look at it. in a case like this decide the proof is evident and the presumption great. proof of course evidence. evidence, look at webster's for a definition. evidence would seem to be corroborated, unopposed, undeniable. then the presumption of guilt has to be great. our case law has interpreted that standard, the standard to apply in an author inquiry to be greater than beyond a reasonable doubt. so if the judge follows the law, the judge would have to make a determination that the proof of
8:05 pm
guilt is evident -- i'm sorry, yeah the proof is evident and the presumption is great. i'm hoping that the judge is not going to decide that. and we'll get him out on friday. of course, maybe for the last day or two i'm going to be able to argue ignorance because i haven't seen the discovery yet. i hope to see it before friday so i can be properly prepared for the hearing and know what they're going to state. >> if he did get out, are you concerned about his safety? >> very concerned about his safety. the concern, of course is once we get him out, and i believe he deserves to be out. and i need him out for our defense purposes. we need to keep him safe. again, there's been a lot of emotions that have come forward in this case. and some of those emotions are showing themselves in bad ways. and i'm just hopeful that we can get him out, keep him safe, and then give me the time to do my job. >> mark o'mara, appreciate your time. thank you. let's talk about what today's
8:06 pm
legal filings mean. joining me mark geragos and analyst and sunny hostin. do you think the judge should have been recused herself from this case? >> well, i don't know if she should have. she obviously had to disclose it. i think now the paperwork's been filed, i think she will recuse herself. she's in a no-win situation. if she rules for him, somebody's going to say well, you know, there's a connection because the husband referred the case over. if she rules against him, they're going to say well the husband's firm turned him down. why be second guessed? the easier thing is to take her out of the mix. >> sunny, you said there's another reason o'mara might want her out. >> this is a new judge. she hasn't presided over a homicide case. she's only been on the bench a year. he would know the other three judges. this is sort of a win/win. she just got assigned for the
8:07 pm
case randomly. now he gets the chance to probably be in front of judges he's be in front of before. that's a good place for an attorney to be. >> the sealed court records, does that help one side of the defense more than the other? >> i always think, frankly, that sealed court records help the defense. because generally what you're sealing is the prosecution's records. the defense records are generally in the defense lawyer's file. you don't necessarily, until you file a motion, put in things like your theory and other witness statements, things like that. so what you're trying to prevent from getting out there is prosecution evidence. and a lot of times the evidence put in by the prosecution into police reports, probable cause, statements, things like that, are stuff that may never reach a courtroom. and a case like this supersized, you don't want that out there. you don't want the witnesses -- and we mentioned this last week when you were interviewing the witnesses. you start to get witness statements out there and people
8:08 pm
start talking about it and things of that nature. that never helps the defense. >> do you think they'll reverse that order to seal the records? >> i think so. florida with the sunshine laws is really transparent especially the court system. i think your questions to o'mara was so good i wonder if you don't have a law degree. >> stop trying to butter me up. >> i was going to say the same thing, but i didn't want to suck up to you. >> okay. all right. >> the bottom line is they can redact witness names. they can redact the information that is of great concern. so i would imagine that in looking at the standard, there's no doubt that a lot of this information will be made public but in a redacted form. >> mark, explain to people who -- you know, having no legal background i'm surprised by when a lawyer says i haven't asked my client at this point about what happened that night. mark o'mara says he's waiting for whatever evidence the prosecution has for him to look at before he talks to his client about that. explain why that would be. i mean, my instinct would be
8:09 pm
tell me what happened. why is that not a good idea? >> tell me everything. >> yeah. >> i tell that to clients when they come in. i say look before i start questioning you, before i grind you, i want to see what the prosecution has. it's simple. it's based on the fact that the prosecution has the burden of proof. it's not a civil case where you're fighting over money and each side's got to tell their story. this is a criminal case. the prosecution's got the burden of proof. i want to know what they have. before i grill the client, i want to see what the progression cushion has and i'm going to their case. then i'm going to go to my client and maybe start to cross examine him basically on what he knows and what he doesn't know. >> is there a danger for a defense attorney to hear too much from his client or her client? >> absolutely. let me give you a perfect example. if i start asking questions before i know the discovery, my client then has told me something. i'm locked into that. at a certain point, i cannot ethically put that client on the stand if the client is going to -- his memory's going to
8:10 pm
evolve. he's going to remember something he didn't know before. if i suspect that he's not telling the truth, i'm in between and i'm conflicted. so yes, there's a problem with that. >> by not asking your client at this stage in the game you are protecting yourself as well as your client, really. >> well, i'm protecting the client more than anything else. protecting myself is the last of my worries. what i want to make sure is i understand the prosecution's case, that i hold them to their duty which is proof beyond a reasonable doubt. and that i'm not making it easier for them. >> do you think, sunny, he will get bond? do you think he'll get out? >> i think so. >> on friday? this soon? >> if it's on friday, yeah. if you look at the standard, it's clear that the judge -- that the state has to prove that he should be held. and the judge could still release him if he isn't a flight risk. he isn't because he turned himself in. if he is a danger to the community is a tougher question. if he has ties to the community.
8:11 pm
i suspect there will be some sort of bond situation here. depends whether or not he can reach the requirements. >> mark, do you agree with that? >> i agree. if you look at the law, he should get bail. whether he gets out is a completely different question. because i don't think, frankly, he's got the wherewithal or the means to post any significant bail. i mean, pretty much -- we face this situation all the time in the courts. somebody gives you bail but you don't have the wherewithal to bail out. >> mark geragos, sun nny hostin thanks. follow me on twitter. i'll be tweeting ahead. the people is to protect president obama in colombia, they're charged with dealing with prostitutes. new developments tonight ahead. [ male announcer ] when this hotel added aflac
8:12 pm
to provide a better benefits package... oahhh! [ male announcer ] it made a big splash with the employees. [ duck yelling ] [ male announcer ] find out more at... [ duck ] aflac! [ male announcer ] ...forbusiness.com. ♪ ha ha! ♪can i help you? yeah, can i get a full-sized car? for full-sized cars, please listen to the following menu. for convertibles, press star one. i didn't catch that. to speak to a representative, please say representative now. representative. goodbye! you don't like automated customer service, and neither do we. that's why, unlike other cards,
8:13 pm
no matter when you call chase sapphire preferred, you immediately get a person not a prompt. chase sapphire preferred. a card of a different color. (phone ringing) chase sapphire preferred, this is julie in springfield. e land. economically, it seems like a good choice now. we need environmental protection. we've got more than 100 years worth of energy, right here. [announcer:] who's right? they all are. visit powerincooperation.com.
8:14 pm
raw politics now. new developments in the secret service prostitution scandal. telling john king it involves 11 secret service employees and ten department defense personnel. all of whom were to protect president obama in colombia.
8:15 pm
they're all under investigation accused of bringing prostitutes back to a hotel secured for members of the american delegation. again, that's 11 secret service employees and ten from the defense. >> we let the boss down. because nobody's talking about what went on in colombia other than this incident. so to that extent, we let him down. >> joining us now with more details, jessica yellin. what is the latest you're hearing about this? >> the details are sorted for these guys. it happened two days before the president arrived. according to multiple government officials, the people involved range from relative newcomers to nearly 20 year veterans. we're told they went out in separate groups on wednesday night. then one secret service agent let a prostitute stay overnight in his room. then there was a dispute over payment. the hotel called local police. police filed a report. that report went to the american embassy. you can see where this goes.
8:16 pm
the embassy alerted secret service headquarters and it unravelled from there. >> how big -- it's interacting for the summit in columbia. how big a deal is this for compromising presidential security? >> you know, the service maintains the president's security was never compromised because these guys routinely lock up documents and the president wasn't in the country yet. but the real question is what if? i've spoken to many former agents in the last few days. they say one thing they're taught specifically is to avoid prostitutes for fear of blackmail even years down the line when an agent could be promoted into protective detail of the president. and having personally traveled with the president, i'm most surprised they bring these women back to a staff hotel where white house officials would be staying in a few days. >> i want to bring in a journalist ronald kessler. you say this is the biggest scandal to hit the secret service. how did this happen?
8:17 pm
>> well, since i broke the story, of course it's the biggest. but it is a symptom of the lax attitude of secret service management. we saw that come out in the fact that the salahis were able to crash the state dinner. in my book, i reveal many corner cutting by management. allowing people into events without screening for example. it's just like letting people into an airplane without screening. that is shocking. >> you put the responsibility on mark sullivan, you're a critic of his? >> yeah. obviously these people engaged in egregious behavior and there could be blackmail. but i think that when people on the grounds see that the boss
8:18 pm
really doesn't care, is sort of winking and nodding, is lax and is over working them and is showing favoritism, one example they don't even insist of regular physical fitness testing or regular firearms requalification testing. sometimes they will ask agents to fill out their own test scores on these things which is dishonest. they are also not keeping up to date with the latest firearms. one example of what goes on is that when dick cheney's daughter mary was under protection, she would get agents to take her friends to restaurants. they're not taxi drivers. they refused as they should have. but she threw a fit. because of this she was able to get her detail leader removed by secret service management. so what does that tell the agents on the ground? it tells them if we do our job,
8:19 pm
we might be removed. and that's what happened with the salahis. you had secret service uniformed officers who knew that they were not on the guest list and a third also not on the list, carlos allen, a story i also revealed. and yet they ignored that. why? because they were afraid that gee, if they turn her away -- would not back them up. all this culture filters down and i think led to this really scandalous situation. >> jessica, the president has indicated he'd be angry if these allegations were confirmed. do you expect he's going to personally have more to say on this? or is the white house eager to move on? >> eager to move on definitely. they'd rather focus on policy agenda. and the body language at the white house is for now at least this can be handled by the secret service. let's be honest, this is an election year. the president has to demonstrate leadership. this is the same head of the secret service who was in charge when the salahi scandal
8:20 pm
happened. he's been there since 2006. the service has to handle this quickly to insulate the white house from any political fallout here if they don't want the president to intervene. >> ross kessler, appreciate you being on. jessica yellin, thanks. the latest in the assad's regime's broken promise. we'll talk to ambassador susan rice who has no problem called assad basically a liar. what's the u.s. going to do about it? that's next. [ male announcer ] the cadillac cts sport sedan was designed with near-perfect weight balance from front to back... and back to front.
8:21 pm
♪ giving you exceptional control from left to right... and right to left. ♪ the cadillac cts. ♪ we don't just make luxury cars. we make cadillacs. it was in my sister's neighborhood. i told you it was perfect for you guys. literally across the street from her sister.
8:22 pm
[ banker ] but someone else bought it before they could get their offer together. we really missed a great opportunity -- dodged a bullet there. [ banker ] so we talked to them about the wells fargo priority buyer preapproval. it lets people know that you are a serious buyer because you've been credit-approved. we got everything in order so that we can move on the next place we found. which was clear on the other side of town. [ male announcer ] wells fargo. with you when you're ready to move.
8:23 pm
8:24 pm
keeping them honest. one of america's top diplomats using blunt language tonight about syria's regime. thousands of syrian murder victims won't be forgotten. and their killer won't get away with it. tonight i spoke with u.s. ambassador susan rice. she said the regime there has lied about slaughtering victims. the biggest is bashar al assad. here he is touring homes when he promised to stop the shelling and killing. there on the right, that very day, video of his forces pounding other parts of that same city. that day march 27th, 57 syrians died mostly in homs. the regime then killed hundreds more between then and april 12th when the ceasefire went into
8:25 pm
effect. keeping them honest. today four days into the cease fire, the opposition is reporting 55 people killed. that's homs today. bombardment continues. u.n. commissioner reporting it's seriously concerned, unquote. about government forces using heavy weaponry against the population. [ speaking in foreign language ] >> the video claiming to be from yesterday in homs. you can hear large explosion of incoming heavy artillery. you can hear and see it's a bombardment of explosions coming just seconds apart. today's u.n. statement
8:26 pm
acknowledging violations as well on opposition forces. there is an exchange going on between sides. opposition fighters don't have more than ak-47s and rpgs. the syrian army has been pounding suburbs. the syrian army that still has tanks like this one in homs. assad, remember, promised to pull tanks and troops out. we can't verify what you're seeing, when the video was taken or where. but no one doubts it. what you're seeing is the ugly truth and has been for a long time. quote, the commission also hopes that the ceasefire will contribute to putting an end to the gross human rights violations that has been reporting on over the past six months. that we've been documenting for more than a year now. however, in all that time, the assad regime has yet to keep really a single promise. spoke about all the broken
8:27 pm
promises tonight with america's ambassador to the u.n. susan rice. to a plan to halt the violence. they kept on killing. march 27th of this year assad agreed to the peace plan the same day 57 people were killed. this past tuesday when syria was to pull troops out of urban centers, 101 people were killed. on the day it was to take effect, another 77 people killed. why should anyone believe at this point anything this regime says? >> there's every reason, anderson, to be exceedingly skeptical. and the united states certainly is. the russians and the chinese who have been protecting assad and the security council for many, many months, however, have in the past couple of weeks stepped up the pressure on assad. i think it's as a result of that that he agreed to the end in plan. and which did hold largely for a couple of days. thursday and friday.
8:28 pm
he resumed the shelling of homs on saturday and has continued and intensified. really the oldest remains to ensure that he doesn't in fact defy his pattern and begin to uphold his commitment. the u.n. monitors, the first handful of whom on the ground, are not in the position to rule anything. their role is to observe and verify provided that the parties particularly the government actually adhere to their commitments which thus far they don't seem to be. >> the syrian government says the ceasefire was broken by armed terrorists. and the violence has escalated since the ceasefire was to be in effect this past thursday. you deal with syrian representatives all the time. i've had them on this program. they've said things that are not true. they've lied. they've said things that are
8:29 pm
wrong time and time again. do you have any credibility to you? i don't even know if you can say that. >> no, they don't. let's be plain. you're right. they have lied to the international community, lied to -- the biggest fabricator of the facts is assad himself. his representatives are merely doing his bidding and under probably some not insignificant personal duress. words as we have said repeatedly is meaningless. the actions are what matter and the actions have continued to disappoint. >> i don't know if you can answer this question, but what is it like to deal with people who are not telling you the truth on a daily basis and -- i mean, how do you deal with that? >> well, anderson, you would not be surprised that in diplomacy and national security matters and foreign affairs, the truth is not always the currency of choice for some of the countries we have to deal with.
8:30 pm
fortunately they are the minority. but they're some of the greatest troublemakers. that's why we don't take anybody at simply their word. when they are abusers of human rights or states that have used violence against their own people or neighbors, we have to hold them to their actions. and we have to apply meaningful pressure that has a viable prospect of potentially changing their behavior. >> at what point does military intervention of some sort become inevitable or a real possibility? >> i don't know at what stage anything becomes inevitable in this business, anderson. the reality is that these are very, very complicated circumstances. syria's even much more complicated, for instance, than libya. there isn't unity in the region among the arab countries or the neighbors for any kind of international intervention. there are differing views between the opposition. the security council has been
8:31 pm
divided with russia and china opposing sanctions much less military intervention. and indeed the context on the ground is much different. whereas in libya, the opposition controlled a major swath of territory beginning with the major city of benghazi and were able to push out from there. there's no such degree of unified control on the ground nor is there a degree of a unified military command within the opposition. so many of these factors are different. plus the fact that there are many powerful countries in the immediate neighborhood and beyond that are determined to back one side or the other to the hilt which raises the stakes quite dramatically in terms of consequences for the region. >> finally one question on north korea. you spoke to the security council saying it strongly condemns the missile launch attempt. after that attempt mitt romney said incompetence from the obama administration has undermined the security of the united states and our allies. how do you respond to that?
8:32 pm
>> that is completely wrong. what has happened over the last many years in the past prior to this administration was north korea would behave badly and they were rewarded for their bad behavior with being taken off the terrorist list or food aid or what have you. this administration has given north korea nothing. and they won't be getting food aid as a consequence of violating their agreement. instead, we've imposed the toughest sanctions to date on north korea. we just enhanced them today in the security council with an agreement that not only strongly condemns the missile launch, but threatens further measures should there in fact be any further launches or nuclear test. and indeed today imposed additional sanctions. so the message that this administration has sent is, again, you will be judged by your actions not your words. there will be no rewards for bad behavior. if you break commitments you will get nothing and isolation. that's what we have proved yet again today.
8:33 pm
>> ambassador rice, i appreciate your time. thank you. >> thank you. >> we're following a number of other stories tonight. isha is here with the bulletin. >> underway in norway today for the man accused of going on a shooting and bombing rampage last summer that killed 77 people. anders breivik says he acknowledged what happened but he was not guilty because he was acting in self-defense. the trial's expected to last ten weeks. in oklahoma today, pleads of not guilty were entered by a judge for two men charged in a murder spree this month. england and watts are accused of going into a black section of tulsa and shooting to death three people and wounding others. also in oklahoma, a sixth person has died as a result of injuries sustained in this weekend's tornadoes. all of the deaths occurred in woodward, oklahoma. dozens of twisters touched down in ten states across the midwest
8:34 pm
and the plains. the space shuttle discovery has been mounted atop the kennedy space center. tomorrow it will make its final trip. it will be flown to washington at the smithsonian. check this out. nature at its most fantastic. this is a fire ball erupting today on the left side of the sun. nasa refers to -- >> wow. >> i know. that was accommodated bay solar flare. nasa says the eruption was not aimed at us. >> it's crazy. >> is that not the coolest thing you've seen today? >> yes. that is probably the coolest -- >> i know you don't see a lot of cool things, but that is cool. >> that is amazing. also the image. did they happen to -- are they rolling on that all the time? >> i'll have to ask my people to check that. >> please do. >> but that is magnetic plasma you see there. >> i knew that. no, i didn't. >> i know you didn't. >> that's magnetic plasma?
8:35 pm
i don't know what that means. that's really cool. the other cool thing today that occurred is congratulations. you have a new program on cnn that launched. >> yeah. >> so what time is it that people have cnn i? >> 3:30 p.m. eastern. we launched today. and it was a great start. so thank you so much for making it -- now i'm going to get all emotional and i'm going to cry. >> it's well deserved. congratulations. >> thank you. speaking of international news, did you cover pippa middleton today? >> i passed on that one. >> really? >> yeah. >> well, you're very highbrow. we decide to cover it. the sister of the duchess of cambridge may be in trouble with police and the royal family. the person she was with pointed a gun at photographers. it was a big to do as they say. that is ahead. or creates another laptop bag
8:36 pm
or hires another employee, it's not just good for business, it's good for the entire community. at bank of america, we know the impact that local businesses have on communities. that's why we extended $6.4 billion in new credit to small businesses across the country last year. because the more we help them, the more we help make opportunity possible. (sfx: car garage sounds) today my journey brings me to charlotte, north carolina, where i spent the day with geico driver casey mears. i told him the secret to saving money on car insurance. he told me the secret to his car setup. first he adjusts... first he adjusts... (sfx:engine revving drowns out gecko's dialogue) then he... then he... fx:loud drilling noise continues to drown out gecko's dialogue) then he... .and a quarter cup of neapple juice. or was that the secret to his barbecue sauce? hey, "secret" sauce. geico®. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.
8:37 pm
on december 21st polar shifts will reverse the earth's gravitational pull and hurtle us all into space. which would render retirement planning unnecessary. but say the sun rises on december 22nd, and you still need to retire. td ameritrade's investment consultants can help you build a plan that fits your life. we'll even throw in up to $600 when you open a new account or roll over an old 401(k). so who's in control now, mayans?
8:38 pm
8:39 pm
pippa middleton, prince william's sister-in-law may be in problem with police. since serving as her sister's maid of honor in a dress that got rave reviews. she's been a model of good behavior. the constant attention and paparazzi has not gone away. over the weekend in paris, pippa was photographed with three mail friends in a convertible. the driver was holding a gun
8:40 pm
pointing it seemingly at the photographer. i talked earlier to international business correspondent richard quest. so richard, pippa could actually be facing criminal charges and possible jail time for this, right? >> oh, no question about it. the allegations are extremely serious. and if you look at the pictures from the newspaper, you see quite clearly. one of the people in the front of the car pointing what's alleged to have been a gun. we don't know whether it's real or fake. but that wouldn't matter one way or the other. all the others in the car could also be charged with offenses. now, depending on the exact nature of the offense they will be charged with, it could be anything from two years to seven years. but that is at the upper end and extreme end. this will all now be decided by the police which will put the facts before examining magistrate who will then decide
8:41 pm
whether charges should go forward. but the important thing here is the anguish and angst this has raised in france and in paris where the country is still reeling from some grotesque serial murders. >> to the royals, is this a big deal? have they put out a statement or anything like that? >> absolutely not a word. which tells and speaks volumes. they will be working out what to do. on the one hand, pippa is not a member of the royal family as such. her sister is married and is part of the royal family. so the royal family, buckingham palace, will not comment at this stage. the spokesperson hasn't commented at this stage. everybody is -- my gut feeling is everybody is waiting and watching to see how this plays out. >> she's got a lot of attention in the united states since the wedding.
8:42 pm
is she as big a source of interest over there? >> the picture editor of "the daily mail" newspaper is quoted as saying he gets 400 photos a day. now, unlike the duchess of cambridge who has now got royal security. when she goes somewhere, it's carefully controlled. she is within the royal bubble. and although she has a lot of attention, she enjoys the protection. pippa middleton is on the outside of that. and it must be -- although she's had this for some years, it might be quite dramatic. she now knows she is suffering in some ways the sort of attention that diana post divorce had. no security, no protection. free for all for the pap razz see. in that scenario, this is the sort of thing that happens.
8:43 pm
frankly she hasn't put a foot wrong so far. this is the first. but the warning signs are there. >> richard quest, thanks. worthwhile to know that 15 years ago this august princess diana died in a car chase while being followed by paparazzi. they are not known for splitting hairs. she's become one of their favorite targets. gary tuchman reports. >> reporter: at the highly anticipated royal wedding of prince william and kate middleton, all eyes were not only on the bride but another middleton. pippa. >> i have to say the look of pippa middleton, my word. >> gorgeous. >> reporter: the rave reviews for pippa's dress and figure turned her into an instant celebrity and a paparazzi favorite. they started calling her your royal hotness.
8:44 pm
photographers stalking her wherefore she went. after the wedding personal pictures of the 28-year-old began to leak to the press. including this photo showing her in a bikini while in 2006 with her sister and prince william. sunbathing topless on that trip was also made public. later photos from a private party showing pippa dancing in her bra were leaked. an everyday task like going to work and getting coffee became ops for the paparazzi. the daily mail would see 400 a day cross his desk. it extends into all area of her life. clothes, hats, boyfriends, rumored boyfriends, sometimes even her like of boyfriends. while she's tried to avoid the paparazzi, she's been gracious in the times she's spoken to a reporter. >> how are you doing? how's it been so far? >> tiring. >> tiring? did you prepare for the race? >> yeah, i did prepare.
8:45 pm
>> how much? how long? >> couple of weekends. >> okay. so are you a good skier? >> average. >> so what time did you plan for? >> to get around in time. >> good luck. >> reporter: the constant attention began to take its toll. and in january pippa threatened to take out an injunction to stop what she called harassment by photographers. but the paparazzi continued to follow her. and this latest incident will mean one more thing. more photographers following a woman who clearly doesn't want that. gary tuchman, cnn, atlanta. >> and isha's back. it seems totally unfair they're hounding this young woman and she has no protection from the royal family at all. >> yeah. indeed. she's really left at the mercy of the british paparazzi which is relentless.
8:46 pm
they're going after her because they have access to her unlike her sister. because they don't have the access, it makes pippa all the more valuable. we're seeing them approach her and follow her the way they did diana. she's in an uncomfortable spot. >> as people's fascination with her fuels the desire for the magazines, it fuels the photographers. so everybody plays a role in this. >> yeah. and she's good looking. she's kwb you know, she's got the look. she's got the connection. she's mixing in very high power circles, people want those images. paparazzi and scandal and that kind of media is very popular in the uk. >> you'd think the royal family would give her some protection or something. i mean -- >> you would think. but she's not a royal. >> i know. but she's suffering because -- anyway. >> i know. i'm totally with you. but protocol is protocol. >> oh, right. right right.
8:47 pm
bangers and mash. >> what's bangers and mash? >> i don't know. the only other thing i could think of. popped in my head. >> good-bye. >> bye. government official spends close to a million dollars in tax money on a lavish conference in las vegas and gets a bonus. faced capitol hill and and so did his boss. >> when you see this widespread abuse of money and you as the former administrator said they were entitled to it. that's where there's frustration out of our ears. >> hear more when we come back. . in that time there've been some good days. and some difficult ones. but, through it all, we've persevered, supporting some of the biggest ideas in modern history. so why should our anniversary matter to you? because for 200 years, we've been helping ideas move from ambition to achievement. and the next great idea could be yours.
8:48 pm
♪ mine was earned off vietnam in 1968. over the south pacific in 1943. i got mine in iraq, 2003. usaa auto insurance is often handed down from generation to generation. because it offers a superior level of protection, and because usaa's commitment to serve the military, veterans and their families is without equal. begin your legacy, get an auto insurance quote. usaa. we know what it means to serve.
8:49 pm
[♪...] >> announcer: with nothing but his computer, an identity thief is able to use your information to open a bank account in order to make your money his money. [whoosh, clang] you need lifelock, the only identity theft protection company that now monitors bank accounts for takeover fraud. lifelock: relentlessly protecting your identity. call 1-800-lifelock or go to lifelock.com today. [ male announcer ] that. right there -- reminds you why you fell in love with her in the first place. and why you still feel the same. but your erectile dysfunction -- that could be a question of blood flow. cialis for daily use helps you be ready anytime the moment's right. you can be more confident in your ability to be ready. and the same cialis is the only daily ed tablet approved to treat ed and symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently or urgently. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medications, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sexual activity.
8:50 pm
do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, as this may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess with cialis. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or if you have any allergic reactions such as rash, hives, swelling of the lips, tongue or throat, or difficulty breathing or swallowing, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis for daily use and a 30-tablet free trial.
8:51 pm
isha's back with the 360 news and business bulletin. >> the case today congressional hearing about an administration conference in las vegas back in 2010 that cost $800,000 in taxpayer money. former -- resigned with the controversy. today she was grilled about the $9,000 bonus that gsa official jeff neily received after the event. at a time there was a freeze on federal pay. >> why were you giving out bonuses when the president said there was a pay freeze? >> the senior executives were entitled to bonuses under our -- were entitled to bonuses. i don't believe the pay freeze affected those bonuses.
8:52 pm
>> would the gentleman yield for one question? >> as long as it doesn't take my time. >> the gentle lady said i thought it was going to possibly be granted. entitled seems to be a term the gentleman may want to follow-up on. >> i didn't mean entitled. >> i think you did. that's what america gets and federal government doesn't get. there are many people that are patriotic and frugal with their money. when there's this abuse of money and you see someone like you saying they're entitled to it. that's where there's frustration out of our ears. it is totally unacceptable. for the president of the united states say we got a pay freeze in place while you're getting bonuses and going on trips is totally unacceptable. >> republicans in the senate have blocked president obama's buffett rule that would have set a 30% tax on millionaires and billionaires.
8:53 pm
mostly along party lines. after the vote president obama said senate republicans once again chose tax breaks for the wealthiest few americans at the expense of the middle class. and anderson, three men face charges after allegedly stealing a penguin from sea world in australia. bragging online, posting pictures on facebook. the penguin was found. back at sea world. >> wow. glad he's safe. why would you steal a penguin and brag about it? >> dumb and dumber. brace yourself for some serious cuteness. there's a clouded leopard cub enjoying a scratch after a feeding. he was born a month ago. the leopards are endangered. certainly wish this guy well. >> he's loving that. >> yeah. very cute. >> life is good. all right. coming up, a heart breaker for rock music. somebody stole a bunch of
8:54 pm
guitars from tom petty and his band. [ male announcer ] lately, there's been a seismic shift in what passes for common sense. used to be we socked money away and expected it to grow. then the world changed... and the common sense of retirement planning became anything but common. fortunately, td ameritrade's investment consultants can help you build a plan that fits your life. take control by opening a new account or rolling over an old 401(k) today, and we'll throw in up to $600. how's that for common sense? uh, nope. just, uh, checking out my ad. nice. but, you know, with every door direct mail from the postal service, you'll find the customers that matter most: the ones in your neighborhood. print it yourself, or we'll help you find a local partner. and postage is under 15 cents. i wish i would have known that cause i
8:55 pm
really don't think i chose the best location. it's not so bad. i mean you got a deal... right? [ bird cries ] go online to reach every home, every address, every time with every door direct mail.
8:56 pm
8:57 pm
time now for the ridiculist. we're adding the perpetrators in the world of rock. some bone head stole five guitars from tom petty and the heart breakers. including petty's vintage 1967 blond rickenbacher. sounds like i know a lot about guitars. doesn't it? i don't. the pictures and the descriptions are on the band's website. they were stolen from a stound stage in california where the band has been rehearsing for a tour next week. it's wrong. you don't steal from tom petty and the heart breakers. that's like stealing picasso's
8:58 pm
paint brushes. it's like stealing the doll hands from the sketch on snl. i love kristen wiig. artists need their tools. and theirs happen to be these badass guitars. ♪ this is the last time you're going to hurt me ♪ >> see. that just wouldn't work without guitars, would it? what do the thieves think they'll do with it? they'll get caught if they try to sell them. maybe they got the idea from you want to be a rock and roll star. ♪ so you want to be a rock and roll star ♪ ♪ just give an extra guitar and learn how to play ♪ >> there was a line get a guitar
8:59 pm
and learn how to play. just because you stole their guitars, doesn't mean you're going to be able to play like mike campbell. that's right. i know my heart breakers. there's been a lot of fretting over this guitar case. but it could have been worse. sonic youth had all their equipment stolen. same thing happened to radio head in 1995. they had to borrow instruments on tour. peter of r.e.m. got his returned after it was stolen in 2008. and yo yo ma got his back after leaving it in a cab. here's hoping they get them back. it's a senseless crime that has literally rocked us to the core. that does it for us. i'll see you again one hour from now. "piers morgan tonight" starts now. tonight

111 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on